Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rekindling Flames.



' Amidst the over-affectionate couples and over-ecstatic groups of giddy girls, we stood there calm but overly-excited with the small of my back grazing the small of your front swaying back and forth while our favorite band belted out our favorite songs.

Although we barely touched, you could still feel the little muscles underneath our rib cages beat simultaneously to the sound of the drums in the background. Our lips moved to every lyric, every phrase as if we were the ones who had written them ourselves, as if the singer was speaking directly to us and only us, as if this was just another scene to our never-ending movie where all the songs we’ve ever loved play in one moment and it’s just too much to take. Because that’s what it felt like

My eyes brimmed with tears as I mouthed along to each word that seemed to be in sync with my current heart and my former heart and what will always be in my heart, but I refused to let you see. Even though I know better to refrain than to let my thoughts dance with hope over the idea of being something more than we are, more like what used to be — I still can’t help but allow the melodies to drift into my ear and for the memories to flood back in overflow. I guess this is how it will always be with you, anytime I’m with you, anytime you sit inside my mind.

But beyond it all, we always have some secret understanding when it comes to nights alone like this in knowing that it’s only ever a game of pretend, reminiscent of the comfort and burning love we once had that was so hot we burned out hands, but now act like it was something we never really knew. So we never learn to stop playing with that fire again and again even though everyone else has told us to do different. We just don’t listen. It appears the only thing we can hear are the chords that still strum softly, almost quietly, the ones that hide inside our still connected hearts. '





-52 Hearts
Absolutely exquisite!

No comments: